mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Right side door lock will not lock. It moves when the button

Customer Question

Right side door lock will not lock. It moves when the button is pushed and will unlock (goes up) but will not lock (won't go down).
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes.
JA: What is the model/year of your Porsche?
Customer: 1991 Carrera 2 Targa.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I pulled off the door panel and sprayed WD40 on the rod ends to free it up. It helped the movement but the lock actuator still won't lock the door/
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The left side works fine. The alarm is set just fine. The only thing is that the right door doesn't lock.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

​hi I'm Kevin when lock button is pressed if you put your ear by door can you hear any click from motor at all ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Absolutely. The signal is getting to the lock actuator. I can hear both actuators when I lock or unlock the doors. The door button will unlock (go up) BUT will not lock (go down) on the right side. The driver's side works fine.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Ok this is the door actuator that has failed and will need to be replaced to cure there are no servicable parts avaliable to strip and repair so replacement is the only cure

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The door actuator is inside the door behind the inside sheet metal. It is covered by a plastic cover. How do I get it out replace it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Il opt out i dont have this info another tech may have this

Expert:  mike switzer replied 3 months ago.
Once the door panel and have access to the acuator the three bolts external in the door jamb need to be removed and the exterior door handle will also need to be removed first inorder to remove the acuator. If you are refering to a plastic cover inside the door covering the acuator it should eith pop off or come out with the acuator
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fixed it. I replaced the rod (in which the plastic ball end had broken) with a new one. Put it all back together and it works fine. Done.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually you do not need to remove the three bolts on the door jamb. The handle does not need to be removed to remove the actuator. Just remove the three very small screws to remove the plastic cover which covers the rods. Then disconnect the rods as applicable. The actuator is mounted at the bottom of the door by two screws. All I had to do was to remove the actuator to replace the rod which had a broken ball end. Then reconnect the rod to the pivot point up near the door handle. Then put it all back together.