Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Looks like i have a leak around the thermostat, i bought the

Customer Question

looks like i have a leak around the thermostat
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: i bought the car used about a year ago, hoses still have original type clamps on them so probably as old as the car.
JA: What is the model/year of your Porsche?
Customer: 2004 cayenne base, 3.2
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i was planning on it, until i read that the transmission needs to come out
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i just replaced the Coolant Temp sensor.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I see the labor rate is 7.9 hours. Would you be attempting this yourself and if so would you like the instructions?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Here they are anyhow,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

I am not reading though a mention of having to remove the transmission.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Looking at the file, that isn't for the 3.2 liter. The thermostat for the 3.2l is at the back of the engine where the coolant temp sensor is. The file enclosed does me no good as it is for the other model engines.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Look at the top of that page, it says "2004 Porsche Cayenne 3.2L Eng Base", Perhaps there is something wrong with the year, etc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Unless you meant atf thermostat.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On the 3.2 the coolant thermostat is at the back of the engine, not the front like the Cayenne S or the turbo for 2004.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

I will have to opt out, cause my manual is wrong then.

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

yes,the transmission will need to come out,i will give you directions

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgqyvftp83wzaep/0811-porche-Removing%20and%20installing%20coolant%20regulator.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/mgqyvftp83wzaep/0811-porche-Removing%20and%20installing%20coolant%20regulator.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help