Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician

My 1987 944 has been sitting for a couple of years. Only

Customer Question

My 1987 944 has been sitting for a couple of years. Only 60,000 miles and ran like new last time I drove it. Now won't start and a guy who sounds like a reputable mechanic says the ignition problem can only be diagnosed and treated by trial and error which would involve an unknown number of replacement parts and very substantial labor costs. He's also concerned there may be rodent damage to "edible" parts of the whole ignition system. He's suggesting I sell the car "for parts."
He's being honest in telling me that he really doesn't want to undertake the time (his) and expense (mine) in trying to diagnose and treat, and I appreciate his honesty.
But I'm attached to the car, which I bought new and have always loved.
Is there any hope of finding someone here in Northeast Ohio who might come up with a more hopeful answer? Thanks.***@******.***
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the vehicle power up with the key on or any electronics work at all?

Does the starter engage to crank over the engine at all?

Has the battery been recharged or replaced at all after sitting?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.