rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I am being told I require a new clutch, when I tried to

Customer Question

I am being told I require a new clutch, when I tried to drive the car I heard grinding and I had no power whatsoever and was barely able to make it to the repair shop. I started at 30 mph and by the time I went the half mile I couldn't go more than 5 mph and the car would barely move at all and had no power to make it up even a slight incline. Besides the clutch what else would you recommend doing, the shop is telling me that I first have to spend a couple of thousand dollar to replace the clutch and flywheel before they can diagnose anything else.
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

If the clutch is gone, then you do need to repair that, but they can do a scan on your computer system first to see if there are any trouble codes for any other issue.

Thanks Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

I'll take your call, I'm waiting for the request to come through.

Thanks . and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In doing some reading (I have no knowledge of cars and will use part names and have no idea what the parts do) it looks like I should replace the flywheel and flywheel bolts, pressure plate and pressure plate bolts, refurbish throw out bearing and arm, replace the guide tube, replace the mainshaft seal inside the guide tube , bleed the clutch system. As well as the main seal and transmission input shaft seal.; how long should the various items take to perform and what should the respective part prices be assuming oem pporsche new parts. The car only has 19,000 miles Ive owned it for 15 years and plan on keeping it forever.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

A clutch job should take about 8 hours and you would replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I don't have the prices exactly, but it will be about two thousand dollars complete. hard to believe you need a clutch with such low miles though.

Thanks again, and I still didn't get your call request.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Has someone already called you?

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

I'm doing a followup to see if you have any more questions. If not, please remember to rate me for my assistance, I don't get credit for helping you until you rate me:)

Thanks again, Ron