Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Battery on my 1986 911 seems to have died. wont take a jump.

Customer Question

battery on my 1986 911 seems to have died. wont take a jump. enough of a charge came back to power lights and fan but car wont turn over. assuming its dead. wondering should I replace myself or have done by trained technician
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: headlamps
JA: What is the model/year of your Porsche?
Customer: 1986 911
JA: What year is your Porsche?
Customer: 1986 911. also the interior lights and the light in the front storage are light up. Stereo will not
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all I have done is tried to jump it. it took enough of a charge for these other items like the lights to be able to work. but nothing more
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i left the drivers side door open a month or so ago by accident and the battery went dead then. i jumped it and hadn't had a problem since
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So the battery is pretty simple to replace. You can do it yourself with no problem. Just make sure you watch which terminal each cable came off of and put it back on the same terminal on the new battery. But with basic tools you can do it.Let me know if you have any questions about it.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you confirming that it would be the battery. even thought after a jump it took enough of a charge to power the lights and air fan?
It sounds like it. You can take the battery to autozone, Oreillys or advance or a similar parts store and have it checked for free. But yes it's most likely bad.
It doesn't require much amps or volts to power the fan and lights but the starter system takes a lot of power to make it work. But if you want to confirm, bring the battery to one of those places to have it tester.Let me know what happens.Thanks
Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny

do you still need help with this? please let me know.

Thanks
Sonny