K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I made a key Porsche 78 911 but it only works with the door

Customer Question

I made a key for a Porsche 78 911 but it only works with the door locks and not the ignition or glove box or hood locks yet there supposed to work on all locks
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: the lock was worn but the new key was cut to fit the lock as I did'nt see the code on the lock when I had it out of the car I could'nt be sure it was code cut. The lock was out of the drivers side of the car
JA: What year is your Fit?
Customer: 1978 with Ilco PO7 blank
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only what I typed I removed the lock from door and read the I did not see any marks on the wafers be I'm going to pull the other lock and check if I can clean a wafer to see the the cut on it and or the code on the lock.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: thats about it.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, on this model 911 the key code was stuck to the igntion key cylinder on a piece of paper, it may still be there. OTher than finding the key code you'll need to have a key cut for the ignition which should fit the other locks. It sounds like the door lock is worn so they key cut to that is not working in other locks.

SMC offers key cutting and lock rekeying at reasonable prices, you can reach them with the info below.

SALES TEAM:(###) ###-####**@******.***