Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 1999 911 Cabriolet that had a major oil cooler

Customer Question

I have a 1999 911 Cabriolet that had a major oil cooler malfunction and my friend blew the engine. I found a replacement engine for the same year which had 85,000 miles and I had a mechanic in Northern California go through everything, top and bottom end before the new engine was re-installed. After 15,000 miles since the reinstall I have developed a SEVERE engine leak. I appears to be oil but all of my gauges and dipstick checks show my oil level is fine. I thought maybe transmission fluid? I'm scared to drive it as the leak is big. I can't seem to find a place to add transmission fluid and I am really upset as this shouldn't be happening after 15,000 miles if he did his job. I have had 5 911's and have never experienced anything like this and am fearful of what it could be $$$$$$ Any ideas?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be a leak with the transmission fluid.The drain and fill as well as check of the transmission fluid is done with a special tool on this model here from under the vehicle in position 2 in the diagram below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxv23xzhd548kan/tran-07-27.gif?dl=0

It requires this special tool here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy6m8xo19clrr4p/too-07-27.gif?dl=0

I would have the transmission fluid checked to see if the level is low and checked for any leaks needing repaired.I have seen the pan gasket leak,transmission cooler line leak as well as front transmission pump seal as possible causes needing replaced.Below is the fill and check procedure for your transmission.

Filling capacity: approx. 9.0 litres

Change quantity: approx. 4.5 litres

1. Place oil collection pan under the transmission.

2. Unscrew drainage screw -1- and drain ATF.

NOTE: Without ATF, the engine must not be started and the vehicle must not be towed.

3. Replacing sealing ring for drainage screw and screw in screw -1-.

Tightening torque: 40 Nm (30 ftlb.)

4. Unscrew the filler screw -2- and fill up ATF with special tool filling system V.A.G 1924 until ATF escapes from the hole of the filler screw.
5. Move selector lever to position "P" and allow engine to idle.
6. With engine running, top up ATF again until excess ATF emerges from the bore of the filler screw.
7. With the brake pedal pressed, change through all selector lever positions, remaining in each position for approx. 10 s.
8. Check the ATF level again and top up if necessary.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is apprectiated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete