Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

I get a puff of smoke from my exhaust at first start up in

Customer Question

I get a puff of smoke from my exhaust at first start up in the morning. What causes that?
I have a 2003 Boxster S manual transmission
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

the breather system on these cars went through several updates over the car's life

if you tend to park with the car 'nose down' so its facing downhill then this tends to make it smoke worse than if you park it nose up

if this helps then I'd suspect that the oil / air seperator may be developing a leak

The engine air-oil separator is an emissions device located on the top right rear corner of the engine. The separator is responsible for collecting residual gases and vapors contained inside the crankcase and funneling them back into the intake manifold where they can be burned in the combustion chamber. This reduces the overall emissions of the engine.

When the separator fails, you will begin to see a large increase in the overall vacuum in the engine crankcase. In the most extreme cases, the air-oil separator fails to separate the oil from the air, and oil is then sucked into the intake manifold. resulting in smoke from the exhaust

You may also experience a check engine light (CEL) as the oil being drawn into the intake can affect the mixture level. The oil cap may be very difficult to remove when the engine is running due to high vacuum levels. In addition, you may hear a high-pitched squeal from the engine when it's running: this is caused by air being sucked in past the crankcase seal due to the extreme vacuum inside the case.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you