Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician

Have an issue with my 2011 Cayenne S, has 70K miles on it.

Customer Question

Have an issue with my 2011 Cayenne S, has 70K miles on it. Sometimes I start the car and it idles rough, when i start to drive it, i can tell there is loss of power. Shortly after it starts idling rough, the Check Engine light comes on, PSM failure light, and Start/Stop Disable light. This will usually last for a few mile and then runs fine, and only the CEL stays on. The other two warning light would go off. After a few short trips around town and no rough idling, the CEL would shut off too.
This used to happen about once every 3 weeks, now its happening daily. The CEL does not go off at all and the rough idling and the two other warning lights come and go daily.
I had it scanned at the shop and it shows Cylinder 2 misfire.
I also had the Gas Gauge malfunction light come and go off a couple of time, but that did not seem to coincide with these other problems.
Any idea what this could be?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Robin Everett replied 3 months ago.

Is this the only coded they pulled period? also does the vehicle smoke at all upon running rough and or start up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah, this is all that came up on their reader. There is no smoke at all. I now have a reader myself, its a INNOVA 3160b. I checked the codes this morning using the INNOVA and all that came up was P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected, just like the shop had told me.
About 3 hours ago I swapped ignition coils between cylinder 1 and 2 and erased the check engine light using the code scanner. (Want to see if maybe its the coil going bad on cylinder 2.) I drove for about 15 miles after that and the car drove perfect, no rough idle, no warning light. Im sure it will come back though.