internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

Why do I have a check engine light showing code P2181 and

Customer Question

Why do I have a check engine light showing code P2181 and everything is working properly on my 2008 Cayenne GTS?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  internal88 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Matt - Porsche tech.

1. Check coolant level and inspect for any leaks, pressure test cooling system if necessary.

2. If no leaks or loss of coolant is found, use scan tool to read the actual coolant temperature. Verify that the engine achieves engine running temperature of at least 190°F/88°C within 5 minutes of start and that the temperature is maintained when driving at a steady cruise speed of 40-60 mph on a flat road.
P2181 will set when the coolant temperature doesn't reach or stay within programmed values according to the engine control map due to a thermostat, or coolant circulation problem.

We had customers with the same code.

We replaced Thermostat with Housing and Hardpipe. must replace the housing because there is a sleeve that the thermostat slides in to in the housing and if it is damaged code will come again. no sense in having to do a big job over again.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My Cayenne isn't overheating and the AC and heater works fine. In addition, the engine temp gauge is still working like normal.
In that case take your vehicle to your nearest dealer and get the ECU scan. This is the only way to make sure it is running properly.