eauto
eauto, the car guy
Experience:  15 plus years of automotive experience
6149662

My porche 2006 Boxster does not have a dipstick... How do

Customer Question

My porche 2006 Boxster does not have a dipstick... How do you check the oil? It looks like it has a place for one...
Category: Porsche
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.
  • Checking Oil Level

WM 170101 Checking engine oil level

Checking engine oil level

Checking engine oil level

Warning:
Incorrect oil level!

--> Check oil level regularly (if possible at every refueling).
--> Oil level must not fall below the minimum mark or rise above the maximum mark.
--> Only use engine oils tested and approved by Porsche AG.

Information:

• The engine oil level can only be checked with the display in the instrument cluster.
  • Any malfunctions in the oil level indicator show up via a warning in the instrument cluster.
  • Use the Info function to display the requirements for oil level measurement.

Requirements for correct oil level measurement (not during refueling):

• Vehicle is parked horizontally.
  • Engine is off.
  • Ignition switched on.

Oil return time: Before measuring the oil level, the engine oil must have returned to the oil pan. The duration depends on the temperature and the length of time the engine has been off.

Starting measurement:

Information:

• The waiting time for the oil level measurement is indicated by a countdown time display and cycling segments on the oil level indicator.
  • Short waiting times when measuring the engine oil level are obtained after the vehicle has been idle for a long period or if the engine is at operating temperature.
  1. Switch on the ignition (do not start the engine). Measurement starts automatically. The display for the oil level measurement appears on the on-board computer.

Oil level measurement duration

Information:

• The oil level must be between the minimum and maximum marks.
  • Adjust the engine oil level if necessary (pour engine oil in slowly) and check the level again.
  1. The oil level can be read off from the segment display once the measurement is complete (waiting time is over). The permitted oil level is between the Min and Max markings.

Oil level indicator (Max display).

Information:

• If the oil level drops below the minimum mark, the segment below starts flashing!
  • The difference between the minimum and maximum marks is approx. 1.2 liters, one segment of the display corresponding to approx. 0.4 liters of oil.
  • Never fill or top up with engine oil above the maximum mark.
  1. The minimum oil level is reached when only the lowest segment on the oil level indicator is filled and flashing --> see figure. Oil must be added immediately.

Display for oil level below Min marking

Oil level measurement in the "OIL" menu (requirements as above):

1. Switch on ignition.
  2. Push operating lever for on-board computer forwards.

View of operating lever for on-board computer

5.1.Display in instrument cluster:

Display for measuring oil level

1. Press operating lever up. The menu item OIL is selected.

Menu item "OIL"

Information:

1. Start measuring the oil level by pressing the operating lever.

Oil level measurement duration

Information:

Oil level indicator (Max display).

Oil level measurement during refueling:

1. The oil level is measured in the background when the vehicle is being refueled. If the oil level is too low, the message Check oil level appears on the on-board computer display.

Requirements:

• Vehicle is parked horizontally.
  • Engine is at operating temperature.
  • Ignition switched off.
  • At least 5 minutes must elapse between switching off and starting the engine.
  • Refueling is complete within 15 minutes.
  1. If these requirements are not met, the measurement is interrupted.
  2. If the vehicle was refueled twice, but the oil level could not be measured, the message Check oil level appears on the display in the instrument cluster
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you