Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician
33251536

I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with 44K miles on it. I

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with 44K miles on it. I recently had a lot of work done on it which included complete new leather interior, LED headlights and tail lights, and lowered with H&R springs. The car doesnt get used much or driven. After I got my car back from all the work done on it I realized the ABS and PSM light came on after about 30 miles. When I turn the car off it clears and comes on again after driving it a bit. I had a code reader and it said low voltage. I initially thought it was the alternator so I changed it and the battery, which drains alot since the car sits alot. The problems still continued. So I read that maybe the LED Tail lights may be causing the low voltage so I changed it back to the stock tail lights, disconnected and reconnected the battery and again the PSM ABS light came on. Everything else works fine on the car. The brake lights all work, so not sure if its the brake light switch which I have also heard could be the problem. Any ideas?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information

• Vin # ***** the vehicle.
  • Any engine or electrical work done on hte vehicle before the this issue?
  • What was the code # ***** was stored ?
  • What make and model scan tool are you using?

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the car is a 2001 Porsche Boxster S. the only engine mods are a cold air intake, plenum and bigger throttle body off the 3.4L cayman engine. no electrical work done and the mods i mentioned were done many years ago and not related to this problem. I dont remember the code that was stored but my friend who was a porsche tech brough his computer and mentioned it was a low voltage code. I dont know what machine he used. the car recently had the entire dash, seats, steering wheel and consol taken out and re done in leather an put back in and also lowered. it has LED/HID headlights and Tail lights. these are the only new things. It runs well with no other problems. When driving 8,12, or 20 miles the PSM ABS light come on together. The vin is WP0CB29811U661851. It recently had its alternator replaced since it was sitting for long periods of time and losing charge, along with with its belt. I had a MAF replaced several years ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

i do need a full body scan to narrow down the issue you have . is there any way to get him to rescan ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i was going to take it in later this week. do you know the reasons behind why the PSM ABS light comes on?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

without the codes there can be many things so it needs to be narrowed down to target a specific area!! why waste time on checking everything . not logical!!