Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician
33251536

I have a 2002 porsche boxster roadster. Part of the plastic

Customer Question

I have a 2002 porsche boxster roadster. Part of the plastic strip that holds the headliner to the front portion of the top is broken. Is there a fix, or replacement part available?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I went through this several years when these cars were still newand under warranty. If you are describing this correctly, it is the front of the convertible top headliner. It is very very difficult to reinstall and I even installed rivets to properly keep it in place. I would suggest having a company that only does convertible top repairs take a look at it. You might have to replace the headliner if the front plastic is distorted. It is a terrible design by Porsche.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Guess you did not see my comments. This is a new sierra top with headliner, and the part was broken during installation. The shop recommended by sierra tops tried to glue it in place but after a few months the glue failed to hold. Is there a replacement part available (preferably aluminum)?

I only work on Porsche's for a living and I have not seen a replacement besides the original one that came with the plastic. Like I said it is a terrible design that retains it in place. Sorry, I did not see the comments but I can now. No glue will hold that because it is so tight. I would inquire on the warranty from who installed it. If that headliner was new and came with the top and they broke it, I would think they would have replaced it for you. The early 986 Boxsters did not a headliner and all was well. When they decided to add a headliner to the top, then this was happening. Not on all of them but a few. I can not see what it looks like but I did use 2 rivets before on the corners and it held.