rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 05 Porsche cayenne, recently the psm failure light

Customer Question

I have a 05 Porsche cayenne, recently the psm failure light has been showing up not only that when the light comes on the car now is stalling, I have to turn it on and off again for the car to accelerate... very scarey
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: no the check engine light never comes on, it stalls if iam in traffic or at a light..
JA: What is the model/year of your Porsche?
Customer: 2005 Porsche cayenne
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: iam taking to a shop tomorrow, hopefully he can trouble shoot it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: usually by the time I get to work if I turn car off and reset it the psm is gone!!!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Porsche Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You're doing the right this by having a shop look at this problem, because in order for them to accurately find this problem, they need to scan the complete computer systems.