Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician
33251536

Tried to start my 2012 Porsche Boxster this afternoon, car

Customer Question

Tried to start my 2012 Porsche Boxster this afternoon, car did not start, rear spoiler went up, one window went down. Front hood would not open. Finally got it open and am charging the battery. Any idea on what happen? Thx
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 5 months ago.

Hi, and sorry for the late reply to your question. I am thinking you had the glitch occur because of the power supply issue. These cars are getting more and more complicated every year. The doors have a separate control unit for each door which is actually integrated in the window motor. The rear spoiler is controlled through the rear BCM (body control module) and the instrument cluster. Anything other than a nice steady 13.2 volts(ish) and late model cars that have many computers tied together start misbehaving. I would have the battery and charging system fully tested, Most likey you will need a battery because if original, the lead acid batteries do not well. I would put an AGM battery in it and not necessarily a Porsche AGM. You can buy these elsewhere including a Diehard from Sears. Finally perform a full scan on your car with preferably a PIWIS tester to clear all faults and CONFIRM all faults are erased (These cars can take out a Front BCM when power supply issues take place and the instrument cluster will show a lightning bolt typically when this happens). You will have to reinitialize your steering angle sensor which is nothing more than driving it for a very short period of time at a slow speed in a parking lot. Re teach throttle adaption by ENGINE OFF key on for 60 secs and then off for another 10 before starting. Finally reset the clock if no NAV and reteach 1 touch by raising both windows all the way and and then 1 at a time hold the switch in the up position for more than 2 secs and 1 touch is back.

Any questions for me?