porscheguru, Porsche technician
Experience:  Exclusive Porsche only technician for over 28 years

I have a Porsche Boxter 2003. This winter some how the

Customer Question

I have a Porsche Boxter 2003. This winter some how the trickle charger stopped working and my battery went dead. I charged it up and it started and runs. Question is 1. The radio will not come on? 2. With the key, when you turn it off the switch is spring loaded and have to turn left to get out. But it says the key is still in the ignition. And is hard to pull out or get back in.Ken***@******.***
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 4 months ago.

The radio has a fuse in the back and is probably blown.

Does the key feel normal or is it sticking?

But first check fuses D8 and D9 in the fuse box by the left front footwell area.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The key is not sticking. But the switch seems to?

The electrical portion of these models ignition switch is notorious for failing causing electrical system draw on the battery, C display not working, headlights can go out etc.

The part number for the ignition switch is 4A0 905 849B, Ignition Switch. This is not available from the dealer but it is a VW/Audi part number and can easily be purchased over the web or a parts store. Should be less than $20. The dealer will charge over &750 for this job. If you have never had the compete assembly replaced with the updated lock cylinder, then this is the part for you and should last another 5-10+ years. The workshop manual does not have a procedure for replacing the switch. Would you be willing to try and replace this yourself and if so would youlike a link to a good tutorial on how to replace it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am working on what you said. will finish later today

Here is a good tutorial if you have not found this.

Hi, were you able to install the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything that when the battery is drained (dead) that has to be reset? after the battery is recharged??

Yes, throttle adaption which is the following:

1: engine off, turn the key to ON with instrument cluster lights on and leave on with engine off for 60 seconds. Go 70 to be safe. Then with ignition off wait 10 seconds before restarting engine and throttle adaption compete.

2: 1 touch windows. Close the windows and 1 window at a time after closing reclose by holding the window switch in the up position for a couple secs. Then try 1 touchup/down, it should be correct.

PSM if equipped will require just a short drive in a parking lot to initialize the steering angle sensor.

There are probably some faults set in several of the computers but all will be related to power supply and will eventually erase.

Ok, if you ever need help in the future you can ask for me by request. I have a ton of Porsche dealer experience.

Please remember to rate my service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks and tips are GREATLY appreciated!

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help you more thoroughly.
Thank you! If you ever need addtl help, do not hesitate to request me. I have been a professional Porsche ONLY technician for 30 years!
user name:Customer/p>

Were you able to perform the tests I provided correctly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sorry but I am having to many family things going on right now . Hope to get back to the car this Tuesday ???

OK, we will return then