Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I have a 2006 Porsche Cayenne S. My air conditioning has

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2006 Porsche Cayenne S. My air conditioning has intermittently been working since I purchased the vehicle but seemed to be getting worse and worse about blowing cold. It is a dual zone automatic climate control system. Sometimes I can get it to blow cold but constantly fooling with the settings, modes, and fan speeds but lately it is very hard. I am 99% sure that the A/C compressor is cycling because there is a change in pitch in the engine when I turn the temperature low, but still no cold air coming out of vents. I put 1.5 cans of freon in the system with a simple can & hose, but it will not accept any more, so I assume its full. Any common issues or things to try and fix this without an expensive trip to the dealer? I have access to A/C pressure gauges I can hook up and just purchased a Durametric scan tool. Any help on diagnosing my issue from beginning to end is greatly appreciated. Please advise.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if both zones increase in temperature at the same time or will one stay colder than the other?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has dual zone controls (temperature control on each side), operation is erratic but mostly blows hot no matter what temperature either side is on. Please explain what you would like me try in detail and I will provide the outcome.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a pressure gauge set that will read the high and low side pressures?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. Here is what I need. I need you to install the pressure gauges and start the vehicle. With the ac on please tell me what the readings are once they stabilize. Then continue to monitor it when the temperature begins to get warm. I need this to start as it tells me if the issue is in the basic ac system or in the interior electronics.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds good, I will have an update tomorrow morning, stand by
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

That is fine. I will look for your response tomorrow. Have a great night.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are my current readings. Where should they be?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The low pressure side fluctuates from 75psi to 100psi while engine is running
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Looking over your gauges you have no compressor activation or the system is too full. The low side should be 30psi and the high side should be about 300psi. The fact that they are equal tells me the compressor is not activating or the compressor is seized. You need to activate the compressor with the scan tool and see if the pressures change at all. That could be why it's not taking freon is because the compressor is not activating to suck in the freon. Let me know. Lou P

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am 99% sure that the A/C compressor is engaging because there is a change in pitch in the engine when I turn the temperature low, but still no cold air coming out of vents. What should my next step be? Can I activate it with the Durametric Porsche tool?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.
you should activate it and watch the pressures to be sure. If the compressor is indeed kicking on something should change with the pressures.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.
I understand what you mean by engine change but it could just be the change in preservation for the compressor activation.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.
I meant preparation
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The low pressure side fluctuates from 75psi to 100psi
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.
Ok 25 psi is nothing. So your compressor is a pulse width which means it's not a on off clutch style. Do you see the center bolt on the face of the compressor ?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.
That bolt should be spinning with the compressor at all times. If the bolt is not then the compressor has seized.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

Any luck ? I have not heard back since my last post.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am awaiting on scan tool to arrive so I can verify A/C compressor is commanded on/run.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

Gotcha. Another fast test would be to look at the center bolt I was telling you about. Put a socket on the bolt and see if it turns or not. Make sure you take the belt off first though. If the compressor is not seized then you will be able to rotate the pulley with the center bolt as well. If the compressor is seized the pulley will turn but the bolt will not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are the codes in my AC system, please advise.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

refrigerant pressure is too high was one code, erase the codes and see if it functions. it locks the compressor out if there are stored codes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same codes keep coming back after clearing. What about the code for blower regulator, what is the problem there and what do I need to replace?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.

ok you may have a failed pressure switch, you may want to replace it. also for the blower regulator, you would want to replace that as well. here is a pretty good write-up about it

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/35-ELEC-HVAC_Blower_Fan_and_Regulator_Replacement/35-ELEC-HVAC_Blower_Fan_and_Regulator_Replacement.htm

let me know if this helps.,

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.