Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!

Horn in 2002 Boxster will work when the ignition is off and

Customer Question

Horn in 2002 Boxster will work when the ignition is off and when the ignition is on it does not work. Replaced the the ignition recently. I checked the the wire behind the airbag all loos good.
JA: How many miles on the car? How is the battery running?
Customer: 50k
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: had lights and Wiper problem ignition key getting stuck replace the whole unit every thing working except when cars is on the horn will not blow. Turn of the car press the steering wheel horn blows. Look at the contacts and wire look ok. blows when off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yeah
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just started look at blogs. Had new radio installed does any of the wiring run through any of the solenoid(sp)?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Porsche Mechanic should know about your Porsche?
Customer: No car runs great no other issues.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Porsche Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, so the issue did not start until the ignition switch was replaced? where did you purchase the assembly from? the first thing i would do is reinstall the switch and see if it still does it, the new switch may be the issue. have you tried this yet?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

fuse b3 needs to be checked for power both with the key on and off . see if it has power.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if it did work before that never used the horn have drive car 17k over 11 yrs . All other items were fixed with the replacement. Wipers lights and wheel in locking all were fixed I also order new ignition switch fir the key. I remove and reinstalled the original radio and no change still blows when off. Key in ignition. I'll check b3 fuse.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok , fuse is going to be good, but we need to see if power remains both with key on and off. maybe someone altered the wiring. that is odd, it should work all the time .

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

Hello did you have any luck checking the fuse for power all the time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Havent had time need to check horn relay. Fuse ok need do voltage test. Maybe this weekend.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

ok gotcha, so i double checked with another Boxster and the horn should only work with the key on, so let me know what you find and i will do my best to help get you fixed up. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !