Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

Porsche boxter: i own a 2002 porsche boxter base. its overheating

Customer Question

i own a 2002 porsche boxter base. its overheating because the radiator fans wont turn on when it gets to operatingtemp. (180 degrees). if i turn the a/c on the fans come on , so what do i need, i know its not the fans. gotta be a senser or a relay.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 10 months ago.
Sorry your boxter is having cooling fan issues. Luckily we will get this taken care of. I agree with you, Since the fans come on hi speed with the AC on, we can rule out the Fuse's and also the fans them self. The ballast resistors' ceramic coating frequently crack because they get hot and are then sometimes splashed by cold water (as when you go over a puddle).The relay tray is located on the left kick panel, to the left of, and below the level of your left knee as you sit in the driver's seat. To test whether your resistors are bad (and thus not causing the fans to go on low speed), with the engine running and the engine temp BELOW 206 degrees, put your finger on relay 19 and then press the snowflake button on and off to turn on your a/c on and off. You should be able to feel (and hear) the relay clicking. Repeat with relay 21. If the relay clicks and the low speed fan does not go on, then your resistor is the most likely culprit. If the relay does not click, then the relay itself may be faulty, or there is a problem with the wiring or fuse. Again, if the high speed fan is running, it's not the fuse. Please do not forget to rate my service you got tonight by giving me a grade (0-5 stars top left of your screen) This is the only way my performance is tracked through this site. As always, once you have rated me, This thread will remain open and you will be able to come back and post questions after you do some of the testing I have supplied you. I will be more than happy to stick with you through the end of this issue and make sure you get your car working. Thanks!