internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.

I just purchased a 2001 Porsche Boxter S, stick 6 speed with

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2001 Porsche Boxter S, stick 6 speed with 51,000 miles. When I test drove the car they said it was normal on boxters to be hard shifting in some gears when cold.
The Porsche dealer said the car was well taken care of at that dealership.
I have a very difficult time shifting into 3rd gear when the car is cold. shifting is better after about 10 miles of driving. I want to take it back for them to look at it but I feel they will have the same answer. Any suggestions
Dave Potts
Category: Porsche
Expert:  internal88 replied 5 months ago.
Hello, David. I'm Brandon - Porsche tech.The transmission needs to be changed using Mobil SAE 75w/90.You should not have trouble putting into 3rd gear even it is cold.
Also I would recommend using Royal Purple Max-Gear Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90. It will help out the shift. It does get notchy feel shift sometime but you should not have a hard time shifting into 3 rd . Please rate me positive, thank you!