sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Porsche cayenne: I am having this same exact issue Same year

Customer Question

I am having this same exact issue Same year 2005. what else can it be.I'm 600 miles from home and don't know what to do.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry, the way this system works we can't tell what you have been looking at and therefore what the concern is.What sort of trouble are you having with your porsche?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have a porsche cayenne s and the battery is brand new. If I turn the key, all the lights and radio will come on but it won't start and just makes a "clunk" sound. I have
shifted it from park, all the way down and back. tried starting it in neutral that didn't work. tried shifting it in and out of park and starting it....no luck.
is the "regular" sound the car/key makes when it starts normally,it just may sound more exaggerated. When we try to start it though, the key turns and then the fan comes on and goes super fast. ? Sometimes the display will say "Press brakec pedal" and if you do and hold it down, the fans really start goin. But again, we can shift it, but nothin is happenin!
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.
Hmm. It sounds like maybe the starter has gone out, but it depends on the intensity of the "clunk" you are hearing. Was the engine running poorly or any other symptoms before it didn't want to start?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.
Is it a hard metallic clunk or more of a click?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I just drove it fromantic nc.. to new york.. been running.. great.. and the clunk or click.I'm talking about is the noose it makes every time you turn the key from the inside.. not the motor or nothing. do you understand what imakes talking about?like it's always made that noise. but it will not turn over or anything.. everything turns on.. but will not turn over when u turn the key.. I'm 800 miles from home and don't know what to do...
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.
Ok. So it's the typical relay click. Sometimes if the engine has a mechanical failure it will make a loud clunk when you try to start it.It's really hard to say whether the problem is a bad starter or a security key problem. I'm afraid it's not going to be possible to offer much advice without actually being there. I'll opt out and see if anyone else has any insights. I'm leaning toward a bad starter.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes you are correct.. and thank you I will wait to hear from someone soon. I hope?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
any update on this issue??
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's going to take some testing to determine exactly what is going on. If you do hear a click when turning the ey to the crank position then odds are you have a bad starter, but it could be a cable or connection issue or a mechanical engine failure. If it was running fine when last driven then an engine issue shoudl not be the case.Do you have the ability to do any testing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes, it was running fine before.so if it was the staeter wouldn't it be a click or clank in the engine?no I can't tell test it. the clicking I am talking about it the click it always makes when you turn the ignition.
Is there a click from the engine compartment when turning the key to the crank position?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no there is nothing when I turn the key. If I turn the key, all the lights and radio will come on but it won't start.
Have fuses been checked? There is little that can be done besides checking fuses, battery connections and such, if electrical testing is not possible. If fuses are good, the battery has been ruled out and connections are clean and tight then I would recommend locating a shop in that area that is willing/able to diagnose the problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I have done all that I guess with will go to a dealer
Let me know if you need any more help!