Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

I have 2 base Caymans - one is a 2011 and the other is a 2014.

Customer Question

I have 2 base Caymans - one is a 2011 and the other is a 2014. The 11 had 19" tires and wheels (and TPM's) and the 14 had 18" wheels (and TPM's also). I wanted 19's on my 2014 so I just switched the tires. On the 2014 (now with the 2011 19" tires and TPM's) everything works fine. On the 2011 however. none of the TPM work at all. Are they not inter-changeable? Please advise. Or, alternatively how can I just disable the TPM's on my 2011 so that it does npt show ERROR with TPM on my cars computer? Thank you. Gordon(###) ###-####or Customer
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Porsche. The Porsche Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No - Im taking it to a tire guy.
JA: OK! The Porsche Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Porsche Mechanic should know about your Porsche?
Customer: No it is not a "Porsche guy" - it is a tire guy. The Porsche dealership is 2 hours from me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Porsche Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
Hi,Ok, the TPMS cannot be disabled. Federal law in 2007 required car manufacturers to equip vehicles with TPMS starting in 2008 and required that for safety that the TPMS could not be overridden or disabled - either thru tuners, software reprogramming, or physically disabling. While the 2014 model TPMS control module and receiver will recognize the older 2011 TPMS sensors, the 2011 control module and receiver are not capable of recognizing the newer 2014 sensors. Your options are to either have all 8 tires dismounted and the TPMS sensors swapped out or buy new sensors for the wheels currently on the 2011 Cayman Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks