Wolfgang
Wolfgang, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Tech L1 L2 advanced diagnosis certified 15 yr technician
19871424

Porsche Cayenne S: I have a Porsche Cayenne S 2006 with Tiptronic

Customer Question

I have a Porsche Cayenne S 2006 with Tiptronic Transmission. I am getting the Four Wheel Drive System Fault error n the dash. Brought it to a local Porsche Mechanic and was told it was the Transfer Case Servo Motor, which is an easy to replace item on the car, he knows I can do some service items myself. So I ordered a OEM part new from AutohausAZ. I have looked online to see the ins and outs and found that some people have said I need to replace the Control Module with the servo motor, others say you do not. I actually just had the transmission reprogrammed and updated about 3 months ago. So I dont know if its a electronic handshake thing, they need to be matched from the factory, is it just to clear codes? I would hate to replace the motor out and do something worse, but my Porsche Mechanic was going to just change it out himself. So my question is does the control module "have" to be replaced, and under what circumstances?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. Robert on your issue the ecu for the 4wd electronics needs to be checked if it has the software level 133. if not just a reprogramming of that module is needed to updated revisions of operation. The motor is problematic due to the fact that the position sensor tends to rotate from the fixed position so then the motor does not go to the correct position causing the transfer case to be partially engaged . once the motor and make sure the software is at 133 (dealer only) you will be golden. anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang