Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician

Porsche 911 Carrera 4: The digital read out on my radio is

Customer Question

The digital read out on my radio is dim. The unit works fine I just can't read it. How do I determine if the problem is the removable panel? My car is a 2002 911 Carrera 4.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 6 months ago.
Can you pull the face plate off and try to clean the contact area on the face plate with a pencil eraser? There might be a setting too, I am going to look for that but do you have the dimmer for the dash lights all the way positive? Does this happen with or without or both headlights on?
There is no setting to change the brightness in the display. The only thing close is to turn off the flashing LED when the car is off. But that will not help us. Try the eraser trick first and get back with me. Maybe the eraser and then clean the contacts with a qtip and some alcohol.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The eraser didn't work.
Do you have the radio removal tools? They were often included in the tool kit. I do know a company that repairs these for a very good price. They go through the whole thing and make it look new cosmetically too.
Also what happens when you turn the lights on? Any change in brightness and does the dimmer on the cluster make a change in brightness with the lights on?
I just looked at the wiring diagram and there is a terminal 58D which is for illuminaton but that is at night. I think you have a bad display. There are used ones on bay for under $100. Or you can send it out.