sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 2000 porsche boxster key will not turn in ignition... last

Customer Question

my 2000 porsche boxster key will not turn in ignition... last thing we did last night was put top up. Is this a possiblecause?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Porsche. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Please see previous comment
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes...
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: What should I do to try to get key in ignition to turn?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: IS thispossibleconnected to convertible top?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please see above...I had to get a ride home b/c the car won't start to pay for this service
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
IS anybody there?????
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had someone with pop up windows prior to me I pay and nobody is there???
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are a few things that you could have going on. It could be the key itself, a lock cylinder issue, or the steering column could be locked in a way that it's binding the lock linkage in the column.First make sure the column isn't locked and preventing the key from turning. If the column is locked you should find you're able to turn the wheel slightly in one directly. With one hand turn the wheel in that direction, with the other hand try and turn the key.If that doesn't work and a second key doesn't change anything then most likely you have a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Run the key in and out quickly a few times, repeat the whole process.Then insert the key fully and give it a few sharp taps on the end. This will often knock a stuck tumbler loose temporarily.