Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician

I have a 2001 Boxter "S" that has a very slight seep from the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Boxter "S" that has a very slight seep from the intermediate shaft. With my next oil change is there an additive that will stop the drip and save me 2500 bucks? HELP!!!
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 6 months ago.
I do not think any additive will be an adequate fix for tyhis but there is a slight amount of hope that it is not coming from the actual int. shaft seals or rear main. I am wondering what regional area you are from because you might be able to find a professional that will update your IMS bearing to a roller bearing, replace the flange and put a new style PTFE (teflon) RMS in place. But also it might be the crankcase bolts in that area. You can remove 1 at a time and see if the threads on the bolt are wet. You will only do this to the 4 bolts on the bottom of the case by the bell housing. Then clean the bolt hole and threads and apply a black (oil resistant) sealant to the threads and reinstall. I have fixed many this way but it is a long shot.
When I ask for the region because 2500 dollars for an IMS is a little high for that car unless it is Tiptronic.