Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Porsche 911 Carrera 4: 2001 porsche carrera 4 - 84k miles.

Customer Question

2001 porsche carrera 4 - 84k miles. engine has a knock and white smoke coming out of exhaust
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The smoke can indicate engine coolant being burned off in the cylinders possibly due to a leaking cylinder head gasket and a knock from one of the crank bearings or possibly an issue in some cases with oil burning due to an issue with one of the pistons or piston rings also causing a knock noise.This will have to be checked into/inspected further to locate the fault for sure then from there repaired to correct this issue which may require the engine to be partially taken apart for inspection. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My understanding in the 996 head gasket failures are rare because of the actual design and composition of the head gasket.What about failure of the AOS or IMS?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Is the engine using coolant at all or losing oil with no external leaks found?