Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Porsche 911 Carrera: To Whom It May Concern, , I'm considering

Customer Question

To Whom It May Concern,
Hi, I'm considering buying a 2000 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet with 38,000 original miles from a good friend. I have no doubt about his integrity and the very good condition of the car. My concern is a design flaw I've read about online. It concerns the Intermediate Shaft Bearing (abbreviated IMS bearing, I believe) that can seize due to the grease drying up, necessitating rebuilding a major part of the engine.
Question: Is this a major concern, and can it be handled by simply having grease applied at regular service intervals? The article I read recommends replacing the IMS with a third party part, either with ceramic bearings or one that gets fed oil for lubrication.
I don't expect to drive this car hard. It's more for show. Thanks,***@******.***
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 months ago.
hello, major concern? I really do not fee it is, I have worked a quite a few over the years and to date have not seen one that the bearing seized, although it could? happen, it can NOT be ruled out, You can not just grease this bearing, It is sealed bearing had a grease sealed inside it when made, Over time that grease could ease out, degraded engine oil get in and then the damage occurs over time till one day it locks up,The one thing is to use a good engine oil change often wit the filter to help eleviate any older degraded o0il /particles from getting inside the bearing, Only other option? change the bearing, I know you have been reading articles, but this is one we keep on file in the shop for reference , Its a good one and offers lots of detailcopy and past this linkhttp://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/14-ENGINE-IMS_Bearing/14-ENGINE-IMS_Bearing.htm