Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 986 will not start

Customer Question

My 986 will not start
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2000 Porsche Boxster Auto TransMy car has intermittently not started throughout the last few months. Some days no issues, others I have issues getting it started on the first try. Now it will not start at all!What happens:
I turn the key first and second click everything is normal, third click to attempt to turn car on, nothing happens. No clicking indicating a dead battery, just seems like no power is going to the starter. Usually I played with shifter and eventually I can get the gar started but that no longer works.What Ive looked at and tried:Ignition switch replaced (electric part)
Battery has 12v
Alarm unit removed from under driver seat ( Fuse intact and connections look normal) also ground wire removed, wire brushed and reattached.
All fuses by kick panel are good including E1 (No fuses in rear trunk)At a loss here. PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO GET TO WORK TOMORROW!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Please accept my offer and call me now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its ok I dont need a call, I just need your help. we can talk on the site!
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
No problem. What size engine do you have?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Do the headlights work? What about the dome light?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not sure on engine size, yes both work
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WP0CA2987YU623621
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Have you checked power down to the starter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No as it is very difficult to get to the starter. Are there other ways to diagnose the problem?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
If it is the starter motor, no. But if it is an electrical issue, yes. Have you checked the battery?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes 12 v at the battery no corrosion
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
How many times does it click when turning the key to the CRANK position?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
0
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Ok how many volts do you have at the fuses under the hood?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where are fuses under the hood?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
one minute..
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Here are the fuse locations. I do believe there are two fuse locations inside the vehicle.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
As long as the fuses and wiring check out good, I suspect either you have a bad connection or a bad starter motor based on the information you have provided me with.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
12 v at fuses. As i was waiting for your response I started taking the engine cover off to access starter. when I put key in ignition and tried to start, I hear loud humming noise coming from engine bay
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Do you know where the noise is coming from? WHat component? Does this noise happen all of the time or just with the key on or when CRANKING?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i dont know what component but its just when the key is on
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Has this noise always been there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Possibly. Havent heard it until now aka the first time ive had the engine compartment open
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Ok, this may or may not be related. I dont think it is but without knowing what is making the noise, it is hard to say. The Diagnoses process is still the same as we need to track down where the electrical issue is on the vehicle. Basically, we need to figure out if the starter is bad or if there is another issue preventing the starter from getting power.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
12 volts on hot wire, 0v while cranking on ignition wire on starter.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for the delay! There should be two wires. One small and one big wire. Which one has power and which one does not?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
big one does small one doesnt
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
And the key was in the CRANK position when you checked/tested this?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
And there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
If there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash, then I would suspect a bad alarm module (the alarm module grounds the starter relay to allow power down to the starter.