Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Porsche mechanic.
20625509

1986 Porche 944 turbo hatch lock is broken please cable

Customer Question

1986 Porche 944 turbo
hatch lock is broken
please cable seems to work
driver side of hatch will come up 1/8 inch
passenger side is stuck like glue! Is there a technical release somewhere? some of the head power hatches....not sure of this one does or not
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Because the car sat so long in a moist environment you may be dealing with some rust. I would try taking some penetrating oil such as a brand called PB blaster and soak the lock real well and let it set for a bit and then retry it and see if it will pop loose. If it stuck this may work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
took the struts off last night....ther is a locking mechanism on both sides.....seems the one on the passenger side is stuck....seems like there should be a schematic or technical diagram / drawing of this somewhere but I have not been able to locate....yet
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Before you do anything else try soaking it down with some penetrating oil and see if it will come unstuck. If that dose not work let me know and Ill open the post back up and see if someone can come up with a drawing . Porsche is pretty bad about providing these and due to the age I have not been able to come up with one. Perhaps someone else may be able to.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
lock itself and mechanism has been sprayed....car is remarkably clean once the interior trim was removed.....jus need to know how to release that latch at this point.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Ill open the post back up for you and hopefully someone will be able to come up with the diagrams and steps you need. I do not have access to the steps for one this old. If someone can help you they will respond back.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

I found a tsb that has a diagram of that rear lid latch,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

I also have the wiring diagram, just in case.