Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician

Jake I have a 14 Boxster with 22,000 miles do I need to

Customer Question

Jake I have a 14 Boxster with 22,000 miles do I need to replace the brake fluid as per recommended by dealer . I already did front brakes myself with OEM parts. Does dealer flush do anything special other then to drain the fluid out and can I do it at home and can u guide me on how to do it thanks
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 7 months ago.

Hi, is this a manual transmission or PDK? I commend you on doing your own brakes and if you did that, you could do your own flush. The brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years regardless of mileage. Porsche has always stated every 2 years except a brief period during the mid 90s and they quickly changed back to 2 years. The reservoir is vented to the atmosphere andbBrake fluid is hydroscopic, which means that it absorbs moisture from the air rapidly. For this reason, you never want to leave the cover off of your brake fluid reservoir for long periods of time, as the fluid will absorb moisture. You can do this manually but most efficiently is using a pressure bleeder that is sealed and pressurized from a bladder. This way no moisture or foreign particles can enter the fluid system. You could do it with a Mityvac. You can buy the factory fluid but a suitable if not superior fluid is ATE 200. Usually less than $20 per liter. It is the replacement for "Super Blue" which was banned in the US only because of it's color as all brake fluids must be amber now. The dealer pricing of a flush is typically pretty cheap and if it is a manual transmission, clutch bleeding can be temperamental. If you can afford it, have the dealer do it but insist you want the clutch system flushed also if it is a manual.