Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician

I want to buy my first 911. My budget allows me to buy

Customer Question

I want to buy my first 911.
My budget allows me to buy either a 2013/14 911-4S
or a 2012 911 Turbo
I like the look of the 2013/14 911-4S
but like the extra HP of the Turbo.
Anything you can tell me from a mechanics point of view may be helpful in makinf my decision.
Like for example, boosting the HP on the 4S to 430 or more.
Reliability of one vs the other etc...
If you couldn't work on the car yourself and you had to take it to the dealer for service, which would you choose?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 7 months ago.

Hi I am going to give you some help. After working for the dealer for almost 30 years, I think I cn give valid advise. I think once we got past the 9X7 era and past the bad engines, you can not go wrong with either a Turbo or naturally aspirated 911. Where are you located?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Las Vegas, NV

I am not sure if you want to keep this car for awhile but I think for resale the Turbo will be a better value in the long run. It seems Porsche has flooded the market with 991 models. Very good engines now in the naturally aspirated cars compared to the 9X6 and gen 1 9X7 models.

Boosting the HP on the NA 4S will require exhaust, intake and software mods. I personally do not recommend this to my customers because you are basically paying a large amount of money to de-valuate your car. When people want to buy these, they want stock. The software is not a bad thing to do to get some extra oomph but you need more than just software to get more out of a naturally aspirated engine. The Turbo on the other hand, put software only and you will get some extra power and you won't need to change the exhaust or the intake.

I know alot of dealer techs across the country but not in Vegas, sorry.

For a mechanics view though, any of the models you are looking at are good. The cars use "thermal management" now which is a fancy new technology to keep all parts of the drive train at the correct temperature. There are numerous vacuum solenoids that control this and the solenoids do go bad. I did not see any serious things to be worried about if you purchase one of these cars compared to the 9x6 and gen 1 9X7.