Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician
33251536

My 2004 Targa rattles and squeaks in several areas. Is this

Customer Question

My 2004 Targa rattles and squeaks in several areas. Is this common? What can I do to fix the problem?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It's not mechanical. I had the suspension checked, and the mechanic said it's not that. One prominent Skweek appears to be coming from the back hatch back area. I first noticed these noises appear after I have the car detailed about a year ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not necessarily. I would happily take it somewhere. I have a very good mechanic who has taken care of the car for 10 years. But the mechanic doesn't have a solution to This problem
JA: Is there anything else the Porsche Mechanic should be aware of about your Porsche?
Customer: It is been very well cared for. It has 84,000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Porsche Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Porsche Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I know what you mean about the squeaks and rattles. There is at least one factory document that describes repairs specifically for your concern. If you have mechanical ability, I can find the bulletin and provide this for you if you are interested.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not a mechanic at all, but the the bulletin you mentioned may be helpful in sussing out the problem. As I mentioned, my mechanic is great with "mechanical" issues, but has not been helpful in this area. Where can I find an expert to service this problem?

No problem and I am glad you have someone you trust to work on your car for most things. They are getting harder to find these days. Unfortunately the fix is not going to be cheap. This bulletin states that Oct 2004 was the cutoff for installing the old style frame and lift mechanism from the factory. The VIN is 5S or 2005 so your car would be a candidate, you have a 2004 VIN since the information I have states you have a 2004 model. The retaining frame repair kit is almost $1900. The lifting mechanism repair kit is just a little over $1000 and then you have to add labor which is not going to be easy. There are alternatives and much cheaper. Maybe tomorrow we can initiate a phone call? The small charge is nominal considering you will be talking to a 30 year Porsche dealer tech. Not a pretend tech but one who was in the thick of things for a long time.