Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician
33251536

I have a 2010 Porsche Cayman, I have noticed a bit of a

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Porsche Cayman , I have noticed a bit of a petrol smell in the cabin. I have taken it in to be checked out and have been told it needs a new fuel tank at a cost of $500 australian dollars. The car has never been in a collision and I find it needing a new fuel tank highly unusual, can you offer any advice or does this happen
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me if they smoked tested the tank? Are they able to actually see the leak? Any signs of rodents? Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
really don't know, maybe you could give me some questions to ask them. They said it could have corroded due to some water in the tank frank bad petrol but they won't really know until it is out and the new on is in
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello are you there
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to contact you later

Sorry I am here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can I get back to you in 2 hours

Yes, I am going to compose something for you.Just reply in a few hrs. Take your time.I am GMT-5

OK,you are in Australia and not sure of the emission laws there because in the US,it is required the tank is sealed. It is probably the same in Australia because they use the vapors to make adjustments in the fuel trim. It is introduced into the engine as sen needed by the computer via a small frequency valve. They vibrate but they are just opening and closing real fast. OK, so if they are asking for this much money, you need to see the leak. There are some very aggressive sealants that could be found by a Google search that could attempt to patch the leak. Depends on where it is. Can you elaborate more on what transpired?

You just bought the car and it had this problem?

Maybe an accessory was installed in the trunk and damaged the tank with a renegade screw?

When do you smell the fuel smell? During fill up?

Howlong has this been going on?

It is currently 8 pm here

I will await your reply. If too late,I won't be able to reply

Also the fuel tank is plastic. Porsche has not used a metal fuel tank since the 1989 911. I do not understand how the tank could have corroded when it is made of plastic.