Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
Experience:  Porsche Factory Certified Master Technician
33251536

I have a 2010 Cayman which needs replacement of it's fuel

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Cayman which needs replacement of it's fuel tank, is this a common problem, the car has only done about 30,000 miles and never been in a collision.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  porscheguru replied 1 year ago.

Is it failing emission for a tank vent or tank integrity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am back, I don't know, as I said before the car had a petrol smell inside the cabin and i took it to get it checked out and was told i need a new fuel tank at a cost of $5000 Australian. This seems highly unusual for a Porsche Cayman that is 5 years old and has done only 30,000 miles and has not been involved in any type of collision. Does this situation seem unusual you are the expert. All I know is it has a petrol smell and I have been told that fuel is leaking from the tank and it can't be repaired as it is a sealed unit. I have no idea what failing emission for a tank vent or tank integrity means.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I talk on the phone, is it an extra charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello is anyone there

I am here, was just getting ready for bed. Is it possible to talk tomorrow? Yes there is a small fee for phone service. I am in the USA .I would enjoy talking to you and figuring this out.

Tank integrity means is it sealed. If you were my customer I would try to seal it but you need to.know where it is leaking. As I said the tank is a plastic so is there a crack in the filler neck? You are correct it is highly unusual. The tanks just don't fail without some type of outside influence

Hi, if you would like to call me, I will be here when you return to chat. I checked the price of a right hand drive fuel tank and with the conversion it is approx 2700 Australian. So they want 2300 labor which in US dollars is approx $1650. So at a normal dealer rate right now they want 10-12 hrs to replace? That is alot and look at the diagram I am showing you. Maybe the filler neck (item 11) and the filler neck retainer ( items 16 and 17) have an issue. I just think for that kind of money, you should go in there and ask to show you where the leak is? If they decline, I would take it somewhere else.