K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

My 1987 Carrera Targa's cruise control is tired. It bleeds

Customer Question

My 1987 Carrera Targa's cruise control is tired. It bleeds down from the set speed over time. It sets, accelerates with the lever and shuts off with both pedal and lever.
Could it be as simple as a vacuum leak?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that can plug into your vehicle and can communicate with all computers in your model here.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.I have seen issues with vacuum actuators or solenoids that can bleed down and cause this here as well as incorrect reading vehicle speed sensors.If you can get the codes read out and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not near the car at the moment. Won't be until April. I have a code reader for OBD1 and 2. Will it work to read the codes?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This should work to read out the fault codes.If there are any codes set they will need diagnosed and repaired for this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly is the port on a 1987 Carrera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You haven't answered my latest question.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was a little under the weather.

My info isnt showing its exact location on this model here.I would check under the dash on the drivers side as well as under the hood and see if you can locate it.If you are unable to locate it let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't sound like much of an expert. Surely you should know this. I ask the question because I don't think there is a port. Please confirm one way or another.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the info I have on this model doesnt list the location of this port here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, there is a vacuum operated servo and that is the first thing I would check. You'll need to use a hand held vacuum pump and pull around 10 inches of vacuum and monitor the gauge to see if it holds. If it does the next thing is going to be checking the lines for cracks or pin holes along with the connections. I'll post a diagram below.