Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I am ***** ***** I have a 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 it acts

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I am ***** ***** I have a 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 it acts as if it wants to cut off when I start it up and the belt squeals until I spray it with wd40. I am trying to figure out what could be the problem. Thanks....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It starts up and idles down initially and then the engine kicks in at a normal idle after a few seconds and there is also a noise as if the belt is loose but as soon as I spray the belt with wd40 it quiets down. Also when I have driven the car it does none of this when the engine is warm it only happens during the initial start up when it is cold.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Porsche Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the drive belt is worn this can cause the belt to be loose on the pulleys and cause this noise when first started which may also be affecting the crank signal on some models and can cause it to want to shut off intermittently.I would have the belt checked to see if it needs replaced as well as the belt drive pulleys and components the belt operates for any wear or damage with one or more of them needing replaced.I suspect the belt or a pulley may need replaced to correct this here.Most of the time it is the belt itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete