Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Can I install a Nardi ( ) universal teardrop shift knob in

Customer Question

can I install a Nardi ( wood ) universal teardrop shift knob in my Cayman 2007 ?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  internal88 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Porsche tech.

Yes, you can install a Nardi ( wood ) universal teardrop shift knob on your cayman.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, Thank you! Have a happy Holiday.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How is it done?

You have to turn the know counter clockwise.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The knob should either turn counter clockwise to release and remove it or there will be a clip at the bottom of the knob area that needs pulled or pushed in to release it.If this does not work for you here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

i apologize for the previous experts information.

While MOST makes and models of vehicles have twist knobs or retaining c-clips for the shifters the Cayman is unique in this aspect as are most of Porsche manufacturing and engineering techniques.

The 07-12 Cayman Shifter removal requires you to pop the boot trim piece up FIRST so you can invert it up over the knob. The BASE of the shift knob will have whats called the collar. It will remove 1 of 2 ways either it twists 90 degrees counterclockwise and the knob then pulls straight up, or you will see a set screw that releases it.

This is where you will run into problems with the Cayman and aftermarket shift knobs, Most aftermarkets ONLY come in set screw versions with inserts or screw on versions. The set screw versions are the only ones that will work on these cars and they are usually still to narrow in diameter for the factory shift lever. This will require you to remove the shifter and put a slight grind on it to narrow it for the knob.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have more questions.