Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Received new crankshaft carrier bearing assembly. The part

Customer Question

Received new crankshaft carrier bearing assembly. The part numbers are identical but the tang for the main bearings are on the opposite side. I cannot find any other differences in the carrier assembly. What is the reasoning by having the tang of the bearing on the opposite side? What other problems will arise by using this carrier assembly? Are they completely interchangable?
Thanks,
Chad
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Old main bearing #996-101-205-10
New main bearing #996-101-131-62
Crankshaft Carrier bearing # ***** and 996-101-112
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chad(###) ###-#### 24 hour Time doesn't matter Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The tang being on the incorrect side may cause issues here.If you can contact the facility you purchased this from and see if they can check and see if your bearing you obtained was built incorrectly.If it was then a new one needs obtained and they should provide this to you at no cost.If they tell you it is the correct one and the tang is suppose to be this way let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete,
I understand what you're saying, but the old carrier took the 996-101-205-10. The new carrier takes the 996-101-131-62. Both are standard. I am an ASE Master tech for the last 12 years. I need a little bit more technical answer than supplied. Both bearings are made for this vehicle. Both carriers have the same part number. Are they 100% interchangeable? Why was this done? What else will this effect?Thanks,
Chad
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete