Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2004 Porsche Cayenne S: I have a popping sound coming from

Customer Question

2004 Porsche Cayenne S: I have a popping sound coming from underneath the center console during acceleration from a stop...like something is binding up. Never happens at causing speed. The rubber around the center support bearing is intact. I did replaced the front drive shaft, but the problem remains. I've also replaced the front control arm bushings.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Does it ONLY pop when you first accelerate? or on any hard acceleration regardless of vehicle speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jake. It only pops when accelerating from a stop...when you get to about 15 to 20 mph AND when decelerating down to about the same speed. It is more pronounced if going up a slight hill and vehicle is under a little bit of a load. I'm thinking it may happen when the tranny shifts, but not sure. The center support bearing is in good shape and I have replaced the front drive shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It never happens at higher speeds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it when going straight. Not related to turning.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** say its more of a pop or a clunk? is it a single pop or multiple ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good question. Its definitely multiple clunks.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** honest this sounds pretty identical to most center support bearing issues. I know you said the rubber support was in tact but it just seems like the most logical fault from experience.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

I mean we see similar issues with the torque mounts/engine mounts and also from u-joint failures as well. Granted the Engine mounts usually produce a single clunk on acceleration and another single clunk on downshifts. The u-joints will generally cause a slight vibration as well at cruising speeds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the rubber is intact. Is it possible for the bearing to be bad and the rubber good?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Yes, The bearing could be bad and just has not yet resulted in the rubber cracking or deteriorating at this point.

The fact that you havent noticed any vibration in the console would be an indication that it hasn't been bad for very long if it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought the vehicle and it has 209,000 miles. I do not believe the prior owner changed the support bearing...at least not while she owned it. Do you recommend the center support bearing made by Vertex in Miami?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Also keep in mind the rubber can look in tact but once you move the shaft you will notice its torn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do know that the problem only started about 10,000 miles ago.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Sorry was not very familiar with the part you mentioned so i checked it out real quick.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Looks to be better support than the OE shaft dampening method and apparently alot of people seem to think it works well. I just can't vouch for it from personal experience is all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question. Would the rear drive shaft cause the noise I'm hearing. The guy at Vertex said that the rear shafts are not a common failure item whereas the center support bearing is.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Obviously the answer to that is YES, but the location being at the console is whats commonly unique about these cars and the center support.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Driveshaft inspections though are some of the easiest, if you have some stands and help especially.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its definitely under the console/ get shift.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have partially removed the rear driveshaft and it seems fine aside from a little play inside.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

There shouldn't be any play in the joints themselves, play in and out is normal.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you run into any other questions please.