Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Just went thru a rebuild on my '87 911 Turbo (head bolts,

Customer Question

Just went thru a rebuild on my '87 911 Turbo (head bolts, recon heads and valves guides) 40m miles, original owner. Fabspeed bolt ons: Headers, Intercooler, K27 and air box removed. When the car reaches 2300 rpm I'm getting a noise that sounds a bit like a throw-out bearing and then goes away at 2500 rpm. I get the same result with the car in neutral sitting still. Figure it to be a tough diagnosis online, but thought I'd give it a try. My mechanic had the car for a very long time so I'm trying to find out what I can before going back.
Thanks,
Ed G.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases a noise like this can sometimes be caused by a loose or damaged heat shield or exhaust component on the engine.It may also be another loose component on the engine or during the rebuild that was altered needing repaired or tightened up.You can visually check over the engine bay and exhaust components yourself to see if you see anything yourself needing repaired.If no issues are found then either the facility that did the rebuild will have to re check their work or another facility to locate and repair the issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete