sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2004 porsche cayenne s coolant temp sway's up and down

Customer Question

My 2004 porsche cayenne s coolant temp sway's up and down new thermostat new water pump no leaks and cooling pipes upgrade
Category: Porsche
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a restricted radiator, a combustion leak, or it's possible that air is still trapped in the system from having it open.

Was this the original problem or did this start after a repair was done?

Where did the replacement parts come from?

How was the cooling system filled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so everything is oem, if i am at the light and temperature starts rissing i bring rpms up it starts to go dowm, also the heater on drivers side does not work

How was the cooling system filled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started one day after it was under heavy load previous owner did say the added head gasket sealer the engine was swaped

The engine was replaced after the sealer was put in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but i allready did a coolant flush

You're not going to be able to flush it out of the radiator though. The radiator is most likely going to need to be replaced, and the heat problem is likely because of heater core restriction.

How was the cooling system filled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know this happend one day while it was under heavy load it started and never ended

How was the cooling system filled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a vacum

How was it bled after filling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thst model has no bleeder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only way is bring the temperature up with the resevoir opened with heater full blast
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What i think is since the drivers side heater does not heat it might not bleed

Any cooling system has to be bled whether has a bleeder screw to aid or not. The engine needs to be ran until it's at operating temperature, the thermostat is open, the level is stable and no more air comes from the radiator cap initially, and then the level may still drop through a couple hot/cold cycles until all air is worked out. Is the level full now? Does it use any coolant?

Is it a dual zone system or is there one temperature control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a dual zone system the level is full normally i leave the expansion tank open until thermostat opens then fill what ever is missing

Do you have the VIN?

Does temperature on both sides change correctly when using a/c?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the passenger side works with no issue drivers side heater does not work WP1AB29PX4LA65743

The a/c is what I was trying to determine if you can control correctly on both sides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again on the drivers sides only a/c but on passenger side both heater and a/c works fine

You said the problem was with the heat so I am trying to determine if you can control temperature when using a/c. If you're not able to control temperature on one side whatsoever no matter if it's heat or a/c then you have a broken blend door or failed actuator. If you can control temperature on a/c on both sides then the heater core is restricted and will need to be replaced.

If the cooling system was properly bled, is staying full, the cooling fan works correctly and there isn't a combustion leak then the radiator is going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the temp on driver side is cold and cant adjusted

If you're unable to control temperature at all then you have a blend door issue, either the door itself could be broken or the actuator may have failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By any chance do you have a part number for both

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WP1AB29PX4LA65743

The part number for the left blend door actuator is ***********

The doors I believe will be serviced in distribution housing *********** *********** or *********** but I'm unable to tell for certain by my catalog.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the location for this part

The doors are inside the heater box, the actuators are mounted externally on the box. The actuators can be replaced by removing dash trim panels, replacing doors requires removal of the dash and heater box.