Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

997.1 turbo, tip on steering and horn not working, recent

Customer Question

997.1 turbo, tip on steering and horn not working, recent damage, lower steering col replaced along with steering rack
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the horn on the steering wheel works as I tried it on another 997
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect the wiring leading to the column and where it may run through the firewall and see if any wiring is found shorted or damaged in any way needing repaired or replaced.If wiring is found shorted or damaged this will need repaired to correct this fault here.If no wiring is found to be at fault here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
No damage to any cables running thru the bulkhead could be found.ThanksAshley
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you make sure all electrical connections that were disconnected or moved out of the way are reconnected properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none were disconnected or moved out of the way.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Are all electrical functions not working on the steering wheel controls or just some of them and if just some of them which ones are not working and which ones are working?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hiall electrical functions are not working, there are only 2, tiptronic controls and hornregardsAshley
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

What year is this model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
porsche 997 turbo gen 1 2008
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If your steering wheel was rotated beyond the limit for the steering coil under the steering wheel this will damage this electronic coil contact unit and cause this here.It may have worked in another vehicle but if it was rotated to far when it was moved from one vehicle to the next or when it was installed then the coil contact assembly will need replaced.This is the most common cause for this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi thank you for the update and advise, if I take my car to a Porsche garage will they be able to confirm your diagnostic before I purchase a new steering control unit ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.

Yes,if you took this in for them to check this they should be able to confirm this as well as check for any other issues that may need resolved.Then you will know for sure what needs purchased to resolve this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hiI have the car booked in on Sat for the check, so I will be able to confirm if the fault has been diagnosed correctlyRegards
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know if you need anything else here as well as what is found at fault here when your ready.

Thanks Pete