Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have 1998 911 battery dead can't to my battery doesn't

Customer Question

I have 1998 911 battery dead can't to my battery doesn't have extra fuse in to open hood what can i do thanks
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, there are multiple ways to get the hood open on these vehicles when the battery is dead. Now from year to year and model to model there are slight variations obviously in the cable locations and fuse layout, but the procedures are the same for the most part on the 911.

The first thing I would look for is the release cable behind the headlights.

Inside the top of the driver's front wheel well, next to the spring coil mount, is a little rectangular corner in the black plastic shroud that lines the inside of the wheel well. Reach under this, and you will feel a "steel wire cable" about 1/8" in diameter. Tug this cable gently out from behind the shroud and get a good grip on a loop of it. Now pull hard away from the headlight once and the hood should pop. If your having trouble locating it jack up the car and look straight up from underneath in this area to locate on drivers or passengers side.

Secondly is to charge through the cigarette lighter with a jumper/inverter pack that has the 12v accessory port. If no jumper pack you can BUY a plug from radio shack open ended with the cigarette plug for about $10 and connect the wires (check polarity first) to a good battery and pop the latch that way also.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!