Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

What did the recall W731 2005 Porsche Carrera S cover.Was it

Customer Question

what did the recall W731 for a 2005 Porsche Carrera S cover.Was it for an intermediate thrust bearing and if not was there a recall for that bearing?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

That recall was actually for improper weld on the exhaust.

Recall W545 is for the engine

911 (997) 5/04 Section - Group 1, Engine This bulletin replaces bulletin Group 1, # ***** dated 12-28-04. 2/16/05 W545 - Check Crankcase For Proper Machining Vehicle Type: 911 Carrera (997)/911 Carrera S (997) Model Year: MY 2005 (5) Concern: Check crankcase for proper machining prior to customer delivery. Information: This is to inform you of a voluntary Workshop Service Action on certain new 2005 model year 911 Carrera (997) and 911 Carrera S (997) vehicles. Possible incorrect machining on the crankcase may have resulted in a situation in which the base for the intermediate shaft bearing cover is milled approx. 1 mm too deep. As a result the incorrect intermediate shaft position causes an incline in the toothed chain. This results in increased wear on the chain drive and on the intermediate shaft bearing. To remedy the situation, check whether the engine crankcase was milled incorrectly by measuring the depth of the thread bore on the oil filter flange. If a problem is detected, install an additional spacer plate on the intermediate shaft bearing cover. Therefore, we ask that the crankcase of the affected vehicles listed below be checked and if necessary install a spacer in your workshop before delivery to your Porsche customers. Customer Notification See attachment "A" Affected Vehicles: A total of 225 U.S. and 4 Canadian vehicles fall within the scope of this Service Action. Very Important! Not every vehicle in the below listed range may be affected. Use the ranges below as a general guideline. Refer to Attachment "B" to determine if a particular vehicle is eligible for this service action. Alternatively, the VIN can be checked in the Porsche e-DCS/WWS for confirmation of an open service action.

It ONLY involves a few vehicles and ONLY is to install a spacer.

There is no recall on the IMS bearing even though it is a notorious failure issue. There is a class action lawsuit settlement on this, which yours would qualify for if the IMS bearing on yours has failed.

Here is a link to it and will walk you thru what you need to do

http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?