internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

I have a 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS. I just bought the car

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS. I just bought the car second hand and after a big rain storm my passenger side mat and underneath got drenched. I was having a new radio installed and they pointed it out to me. They were working near the glove compartment and I noticed there is a small hose under there where water could come out of. I opened the tire wells and cleaned a bunch of dirt out and know I'm thinking maybe I should check the sunroof drains, but can't see them. Also, I don't see any drains under the car that I can just poke to let water out. Do you think I have a problem? Should I check the sunroof drains (if I can find them) or do you think the radio installers just pulled the hose under the glove compartment out and it flooded then and they blamed it on the rain. I want to prevent this from happening again in the future. Thank you
Category: Porsche
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Porsche tech.

It is the rain fault not the radio installers.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

You can remove the cabin filter you will see a rubber hose connected to the air box, that's the drain for the climate control plenum. You can use a can of compressed air to clear the drain out.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The water drain is located on the passenger side footwell forward on the firewall. The drain slopes through the firewall and you can see it when you lift the hood and shine a light at the firewall on the passenger side. You can reach for the drain hose. There is a small flap. With your finger lift the flap and about a pint and water will come out. Simple as that, plugged ac water drain cleared...no more wet floor.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The drain is located on the starboard side, behind the glovebox. If you get down with your head under the glovebox and shine a bright flashlight up behind the box - you'll see it. Rubber tube that goes from a black plastic box (the HVAC housing) to the firewall. It has a bug-flapper on the outside (to keep bugs from nesting in the HVAC housing.)
To clean it - remove the panel under the glovebox (1 torx screw) then you'll see a rectangular panel with two screws holding it to the housing. The screws are 5.5mm heads. Remove screws, remove panel, remove the cabin filter revealed. then feel toward the inside front of the housing through the filter hole. You'll feel the drain. The drain has to be clean.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

I can't talk on the phone now.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but the advice you gave me did not work. I had the dealer look at it and all the drains are clear. A/c, sunroof...etc. I even brought it too a windshield shop to see if there were any leaks and they couldn't find any. They poured water down the sunroof drains and it came out ok. The place under the glove compartment that you recommended was clear also. No one seems to be able to figure it out.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

sorry, i will opt out and let other tech charm in. Please do not rate me.