Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I was told my oil level was fine yet by chance I noticed

Customer Question

I was told my oil level was fine yet by chance I noticed that when I engaged the computer the minimum level was registering. I decided to add a quart and after doing so the minimum level of oil was not flashing. Why. I decided to drive the car to see if the oil light would go on but it did not. What may be the issue
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After adding a quart the level of minimum was flashing rather than not flashing. My on board computer however does not show a need for oil ASAP I would think that by adding a quart the level of oil should have risen above minimum
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The level did not rise
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , from what you describe the oil level is actually lower than 1qt so if the minimum oil level is flashing still after 1qt added you will need to add another .5 qt and recheck the level. Also you cannot check it while you add you must restart the car each time once the oil and engine temperature are up to temp. The oil reading is only taken once per cycle in the dash so if you recheck it today and it stills says Minimum then add another .5 and recheck. You may actually be 2 -3 quarts low. Also please double check there are no profuse external oil leaks , these engine are known for oil consumption due to the design of the engine so adding oil is normal

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

The normal oil consumption is 1 qt in 1000 miles. So says the manufacturer. Hope this information helps. If you need anything else let me know. If you add about 3 quarts and the engine oil level still does not rise then STOP and take it to a shop and have the oil level sensor inspected. It may have failed giving false readings and the only way to check is to do a full oil change and see if the level is now ok. If the oil is absolutely filled correctly and the warning still goes off then the oil level sensor is the issue all along. Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need anything. Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.