Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

I have a porsche 911 carerra. i have been told by my

Customer Question

hello, i have a porsche 911 carerra. i have been told by my mechanic that i need a new differential. they have to get one from germany (transmission and differential together - nothing is wrong with my transmission) which is $9,000 and their cost to install is $2,000. does this sound right?
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my car is a 2000
Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.

They are available here in the U.S. I would get a couple quotes for replacement. You can go with a good used unit also. The cost for the part and the installation are both on the high side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can get a new one in the u.s.? my mechanic told me that a used one could give me a lot of trouble. a new one would be better. i wouldn't know what i would get with a used one. but you think i should get my car and let him know i need to get a couple quotes? do you know any good places in los angeles?
Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.

I am on the east coast, so I cannot recommend anyone in LA. A used one is more likely to have a problem, but when you consider the price difference it might be worth it. There could be someone in the US with a new one in stock, but the price can vary depending on the seller.