Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

The cruise control intermittently goes off. My mechanic

Customer Question

The cruise control intermittently goes off. My mechanic recommended a new battery. I replaced battery and this worked for a while, but know is worse than ever. Turning the engine off and on will reset cruise. Turned engine off and on at stop sign and the battery/generator warning light came on. Are these two things related and what approach should I take now?
David 2006 Cayenne S
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

check that thealternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a batteryvoltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also checkthat the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for thecharging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secureand the contacts are clean and bright.

ifthe alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialistand ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack andthis will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hi

do you still need help?