Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Cayman: The message show reduced engine power

Customer Question

cayman: The message show reduced engine power
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can drive the car with the msg. show reduced engine power
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

On any car if youget a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can besomething quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU sensesthis and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode isintended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the mostrecently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help